how to make mac dark mode – Dark Mode is a display setting that changes the background color of your device to a darker shade, which is easier on the eyes and can reduce eye strain, particularly in low-light conditions. It also reduces the amount of blue light emitted by the screen, which can help to improve sleep quality. In macOS, Dark Mode can be enabled manually, but it can also be scheduled to turn on automatically at sunset, making it easier to use your device in the evening and at night. This article will walk you through the methods to schedule Dark Mode to run automatically at sunset in macOS.
Enabling Night Shift in macOS
To enable Night Shift in macOS, follow these steps:
- Choose “System Preferences” from the Apple menu that appears in the top left corner of your screen.
- Click on “Displays” (or “Displays & Brightness” if you have macOS Mojave or later).
- At the very top of the window, select the “Night Shift” tab.
- To enable Night Shift with the default setting, select “Turn On Until Sunrise” – this will turn on Night Shift from sunset to sunrise.
Alternatively, select “Custom Schedule” and follow the steps below in the next section to set up a custom schedule.
Also Read – Possible Reasons Why Apple Devices Are So Addictive?
Creating a Custom Schedule for Dark Mode(how to make mac dark mode)
To create a custom schedule for Dark Mode in macOS, follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences and click on “Displays” (or “Displays & Brightness” if you have macOS Mojave or later).
- Click on the “Night Shift” tab.
- Select the “Custom Schedule” option.
- Click on the drop-down menu next to “From” and choose “Sunset to Sunrise” as the time range.
- Adjust the color temperature slider to your preference. The warmer the color temperature, the more orange the screen will appear.
- You can also adjust the “Schedule” to set the days of the week for the custom schedule to apply and the “Manual” option to turn on the Night Shift on-demand.
- Once you have made your desired adjustments, close the System Preferences window.
Dark Mode will turn on automatically at sunset and off at sunrise, according to your custom schedule. The time of sunset and sunrise will be determined by your device’s location and the current time of year.
Using Third-Party Software to Automate Dark Mode
Several options are available if you prefer to use third-party software to automate Dark Mode on your macOS device. One popular app is Night Owl, which is free on the Mac App Store. Here’s how to make mac dark mode using Night Owl.
- Download and install Night Owl from the Mac App Store.
- Launch Night Owl and click on the “Preferences” button.
- Under “Automated Mode,” choose “Time-Based.”
- Set the start and end times for Dark Mode using the time selectors.
- You can also choose to have Night Owl automatically adjust to your device’s location to determine sunset and sunrise times.
- Adjust the “Transition Speed” to set how quickly the screen should change between light and dark modes.
- Close the Preferences window.
With Night Owl set up, it will automatically switch to Dark Mode at the designated time and return to light mode at the end of the Dark Mode period. You can also use Night Owl to switch between Dark Mode and Light Mode manually quickly or to toggle Night Shift on and off.
Customizing Schedules for Dark Mode
Customizing schedules for Dark Mode in macOS can help you optimize your device for your specific needs and preferences. Here are some tips for customizing your Dark Mode schedule:
- Use the “Custom Schedule” option in the Night Shift settings to set your start and end times for Dark Mode. This can be especially useful if you work late at night or have other reasons to use your device during Dark Mode hours.
- Experiment with the color temperature slider to find a comfortable setting for your eyes. Some people prefer a warmer color temperature to reduce eye strain, while others prefer a cooler temperature.
- Adjust the “Schedule” to set which days of the week your custom schedule should apply. This can be helpful if your schedule varies on different days of the week.
- Consider using a third-party app like Night Owl to automate your Dark Mode schedule. These apps can offer more flexibility and customization options than the built-in Night Shift feature in macOS.
By customizing your Dark Mode schedule to fit your specific needs and preferences, you can reduce eye strain and improve your productivity on your macOS device.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
If you experience issues with Dark Mode not working properly on your macOS device, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take. The following are some frequent problems and solutions:
Dark Mode Not Turning On Automatically
If Dark Mode isn’t turning on automatically at the designated time, try restarting your device and checking your system preferences to ensure your schedule is set up correctly.
Color Temperature Not Changing
If the color temperature isn’t changing when Dark Mode is enabled, check to ensure the color temperature slider is set to the desired setting. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your device or disabling and re-enabling Dark Mode.
Glitches or Other Display Issues
If you experience glitches or other display issues when Dark Mode is enabled, try updating your macOS software to the latest version. You can also try resetting your display settings by going to System Preferences > Displays > Display and choosing “Default for display” from the Scaled options.
Third-Party Apps Interfering With Dark Mode
If you have a third-party app interfering with Dark Mode, try uninstalling or disabling the app to see if that resolves the issue.
By following these troubleshooting steps, you can ensure that Dark Mode is working properly on your macOS device and enjoy the benefits of reduced eye strain and improved productivity.
Dark Mode is a useful feature on macOS that can reduce eye strain and improve productivity, especially during nighttime hours. By enabling Dark Mode in your system preferences, customizing the schedule to fit your specific needs, and troubleshooting common issues, you can optimize your device for your preferences and reduce eye strain when using your device for extended periods. Whether you use the built-in Night Shift feature or a third-party app to automate your Dark Mode schedule, taking the time to customize this feature can make a big difference in your overall computing experience.